Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy Feet: INDIA

read the email from Thomas at the bottom!

Well I should be getting up in just a few hours but I woke up and can't go back to sleep. This story is on my heart so I figured I would share-

Every saturday morning for the past 4 months or so, I have been at Cornerstone's ex-liquor store spending time with my homeless friends and making sure they have a full belly... But I have not been alone.

A group of us, dubbed "Saturday Servants", have decided to completely dedicate our saturdays to serving "the least of these". We start out with a group prayer meeting at Starbucks, then head to downtown Dallas to visit with our homeless friends (about 200), and drive to an apartment complex a few miles away to an area where newly arrived Bhutanese refugees live (about 600) to teach ESL and cultural training classes. Our day is typically from about 9:30 am - 6 pm and we LOVE it. Each week we have requests for new team members who want to get involved!

For the past couple of weeks we have been missing one of our Servants. His name is Thomas. Thomas is one of a kind. We have absolutely nothing in common on this earth besides the fact that we both l-o-v-e people.

So, where is Thomas?

Well one day about 6 weeks ago he met a young pastor who had a passion for India. Thomas has been to several countries in Africa, works for an organization called "Village Medicine" and has personally raised over $60k for orphanages in Uganda, but he had never been to India. This young pastor said that they needed Thomas to join the team and, despite my doubts, he raised the money for the trip in less than 3 weeks! ::wow::

He is anything but a "doubting thomas". In fact, sometimes I think that he is overzealous simply to prove that the 'mustard seed-sized faith' theory is true and I won't be surprised if he literally sees a mountain move before his eyes while he is in India.


Here is an email I received yesterday from Thomas via Facebook, it is the middle of the afternoon right now in India.. I wonder what he is up to..

Thomas Woodall January 15 at 10:47am

Omg! Today we went to the red light area to work with the "eunuchs," some actually are and some I would label transsexual. God gave me so much peace, I was more nervious going into the childrens home than the red light area. The people they are working with, no one loves. It's such a taboo, not matter what country your in. I love that they are there and present to share God with them! I have so many thoughts, Its hard not being able to express them I words.

The childrens home is, of course, amazing! Beautiful kids, 10 have HIV/AIDS. I also have so many thoughts on this as well. There is one named songi, he is HIV positive and was found in the streets with his insides hanging out. They brought him back and nursed Jim back to "health" or the closest thing to it. He is so small and skinny, with a hard sad face. But he is so amazing, he would sit in my lap all day, but I also have to be with the other kids. He loves to just be with us, and it's so emotional on many levels.

Thanks for all your prayers!

Tell everyone I said hi!



::All with the faith of a mustard seed to get him there. Happy Feet.::

No comments:

Post a Comment