Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Road From Monster To Grandpa

This is a story about Calvin. He is a father. He is a new grandfather. He is a crack-addict. He is homeless.

I met Calvin last saturday at Cornerstone's ex-liquor store-turned-feeding-kitchen. The leader of the kitchen came up to me and said, "I need you to start calling around town and try to find this guy a detox/rehab facility". As I started making some phone calls, Calvin came up to me. A complete broken mess.

I called about 8 rehab facilities that morning, each referring me to another. No one wanted to deal with Calvin's issues on a saturday morning. In the end, there was no place for him to go... I know, ridiculous isn't it? So we went to plan B and decided to take care of him ourselves. After making a few phone calls, the church down the street told us they would take Calvin to the emergency room and he would receive help for his withdrawls.



As Calvin, Judy, and I headed up to the church, Calvin began to tell us his story. Through a sopping wet face and a screechy voice, he told us about how he had smoked crack all night and drank for 2 days straight and was ready to be finished with this life. He told us about how his first two granddaughters had been born on Christmas day and he hadn't even met them yet because his daughter wouldn't allow him in her house. "I just want to be Grandpa, not a monster", He said. For the next 2 hours, he cried, he laughed, he urinated on himself, he vomitted, and he got on his knees for help. I'm glad Ms. Judy was there with us, she helped to comfort him, and told him about her past life of brokeness and alcoholism. She shared encouraging stories, hugs, and advice. The Conerstone kitchen coordinator, Dan Bryant (@danieljaybryant), finally ended up taking Calvin over to the hospital and staying with him until he received treatment. On this day, Calvin made a decision to change. Crack is a monster and I hope he can escape its grip and get his life back. Thank you, Dan. Thank you, Ms. Judy.

I wonder if Calvin has seen his granddaughters yet or if he relapsed.. I didn't see him at the kitchen this week. This could be a good or bad sign.

Calvin needs some prayer and support. If you have a story of encouragement please send it in via email message on our website www.ragamuffinLife.org and I will make sure it gets to him.

2 comments:

  1. great story.. I used to be addicted to that monster to..but now I have 11 + years worth of one day at a times and I am so much more happier than before.. I use to see myself as a monster also but not any longer..thanks for sharing...It is wonderful how God and community can change a live.. Never ever give up.. I will pray for Calvin and please keep me posted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. I have linked your blog and website to mine. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete